During the month of May, while getting the final details ready for the wedding, I also spent some time going through my room and closets and cleaning everything out (This is one of my favorite activities when I go home. I could probably do it every single time I'm there, and I'm serious). During one of these cleaning sessions, I found a nice dress shirt hanging in my closet that had been there for probably about two years because right after we bought it, a button came off. I lost the original button, but the shirt came with extras specifically for this situation. Well, me being the pre-marriage, pre-domestication, living-the-college-life girl that I was, I didn't know what to do with the shirt now that it was missing a button. So I just left it in the closet at home.
Well, as we were preparing for my final dress fitting, I thought of a grand idea! I brought the shirt out to my mom and innocently asked her what she thought about taking the shirt to the alternations lady and having her sew another button on. :-) (Editor's comment: There's no laughing allowed during this post). But my mom didn't know that rule, so she laughed very hard at me, commented about how she failed me miserably in that area, and sat me down for my first sewing lesson (probably not really first, but I guess I didn't learn much during the other ones).
Well, since getting married, attempting to become a good cook, attempting to decorate an apartment and attempting to do all other wifely duties, I would like everyone to know that I have bought MY VERY OWN sewing kit (although, while at the store, Kody had to remind me to buy thread, as well as the kit. Oops) AND have successfully repaired a busted open pillow and sewed a button onto a pair of shorts. Yay!!
Here's a picture of my two projects and my very own sewing kit:
Since these projects went so well, I have been entertaining the idea of making some pillows for our bed out of our old comforter that was ruined by the dry cleaner (another story for another day). The idea has been around for about three months and nothing has happened, so don't expect any pictures soon. I think the pillows require a sewing machine, which I don't have. And even if I did, I wouldn't know how to use it.
My mom bought me a sewing machine for Christmas!!! I have successfully complete PJ bottoms! Yay for us sewing!
ReplyDelete