Sunday, January 17, 2010

Pantry Challenge Week 3

So far, so good!

We're still going strong with this whole pantry thing and I am LOVING not going to the store! With coupons, I tended to go a little crazy - visit 3-4 stores per week to get all the good deals on many things we didn't need. And while I liked it and thought it was fun, I put so much pressure on myself to hurry into the stores after work, to go back the next day if they didn't have the item, etc. It's so nice to just come home after work and to not always be thinking about the 80,000 stores I have to visit that week!

So these past two weeks, I haven't gone to any stores during the week! It's been amazing! On the last two Saturday mornings, I've gone to the gym and then ran my errands - to Aldi, the post office, fill up with gas and to Meijer. And it's been great!


Here's what I got this week:
- six yogurts, four grapefruits, bag of apples, one pineapple, four pears, gallon of milk for Kody and egg noodles at Aldi for $9.80
- 1.75lbs of hamburger meat at Meijer for $3.50

So total for two weeks, I spent $47ish! And we still have a full fridge and pantry! I'm thinking I might make this a two month pantry challenge!

We did pretty well this week eating what we said we'd eat. Last Saturday's dinner (Hamburger Helper) turned into Sunday's lunch. We had homemade pizza on Sunday night, lasagna on Monday night, leftovers on Tuesday, shrimp linguine on Wednesday and enchiladas on Thursday!

Then came Friday and Manwiches for dinner. Yeah...Didn't happen. We had a date night at Chilis instead! Somehow I knew we wouldn't eat those this week...or probably ever. I think they'll be heading to the food pantry at some point. Then last night we got invited to eat dinner with some friends, so chicken fried rice became Sunday's lunch.

Here's what's on the menu for this week:
Sunday - Homemade pizza
Monday - Artichoke chicken (from pantry)
Tuesday - Leftovers
Wednesday - Originally I had planned on a 3-cheese baked spaghetti, but I looked at the recipe again and I would have had to buy a few more ingredients than I wanted, so we'll be having the chicken pot pie we didn't eat earlier (from pantry)
Thursday - Thai rice noodles and chicken (from pantry)
Friday - Meatballs (from the freezer)
Saturday - Tacos (from freezer)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so impressed! And not surprised that the Manwich didn't happen - I don't think we will ever make ours!

    ReplyDelete