Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Homemade always equals better

At least in the case of this amazing homemade applesauce I recently made!

Take a look at this goodness.


Kody and I really enjoy applesauce, but I always feel like it goes so quickly when you buy it from the store. Like the containers are too small for what you pay. I guess. Something like that. Anyway, we haven't bought any in a long time.

Until I found bags of marked down apples at Meijer and decided to try to make some on my own! It is delicious! And healthy! And natural!

All you have to do is peel, core and slice the apples (I used like 16ish, but really it was just what I had bought) and then put them into the crockpot with 1/4 cup of water, cinnamon and a little brown sugar if you want (like 1/4 cup). Then let it cook for about 4 hours and you have amazing homemade applesauce! I got the recipe here, from Good (&CHEAP) Eats.

Use something like a potato masher to break down the apples more, but I really liked having some chunks. However, the texture weired Kody out, so we put our second batch in the blender and had perfectly blended cinnamon applesauce!

But it's all gone now. And I refuse to make any more until I get one of these:

An apple peeler slicer! It looks like something that should be in a woodworking shop, but if it works, man, sign me up. It took me over an hour to peel and slice all those apples and the hands and back were definitely sore!

Is there an easier way, without buying a $30 gadget I probably won't use very often? Any suggestions?

If none, please feel free to add this to my birthday/Christmas list because this applesauce is just that good.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I will be on the lookout now for cheap apples so I can make some, too. I never thought about putting them in a crockpot before... genius!

    Also, the great thing about applesauce, is that you can replace it for oil in most cooking recipes. It doesn't alter the taste or texture at all, and it makes the recipe that much healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! You should do it! I knew applesauce could be substituted for something but I forgot what! I'll definitely have to try that next time. Ohh, I want some more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, two thoughts. I believe you can just cook the apples with the skin on and then the skin will peel off very easily once they are cooked. I have seen this done but have not tried it myself. Second, I have an apple peeler-corer-slicer from pampered chef and I absolutely love it. I don't use it very often, but when I do I am so glad I spent the money on it. It takes about 5 seconds per apple, so even if you only use it in the fall to make tasty apple treats, the time it saves is priceless. Plus having it means that I make more apple things simply because it doesn't take as much time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, good ideas! I really do think I need to look into the peeler. It would be so much easier!

    ReplyDelete