Thursday, October 2, 2008

Tumbling with 3-year-olds ...

... is a very interesting experience! As some of you may know, I’ve started teaching 3-year-olds a little gymnastics on Wednesday and Thursday nights at the local YMCA. The class goes for about 45 minutes and I have three 3-year-olds in each one.

A few memories from my first couple weeks teaching “gymnastics":

- Brody picking his nose, stopping when his parents encourage him to stop, but the temptation was too strong and a few moments later: “Look Miss Katie, a boogie!”
- While doing the butterfly stretch and pretending to fly somewhere: I'm flying to Grandma's, I'm flying to that mat over there, I'm flying to home...each week they say the same thing!
- Brody hugging me saying “I got you!”
- Playing “Red Light, Green Light” and the kids continually running on red, stopping on green.
- Pretending to be like tall trees that have their leaves fall down: Me - "Stretch tall like a tree and then what do the leaves do?" Kids - "FALL!" Joseph - "And they change colors" - We did it about five times and each time he ended it with "And they change colors!" The last time, he looked at his mom and said "I'm right Mom, aren't I!" and gave her a big thumbs up!

The kids like to run around a lot and aren't too good at listening yet, but each week they get a little cuter :) It kind of makes me want to have one of my own (but only a super cute, not snotty, running nosed one), but I think we'll wait a while for that.

Since these kids are three, their hands barely reach over their heads, making much of "tumbling" quite impossible for them. I exhaused most of my ideas in the first week of class, so it looks like we're going to be doing the same thing for the next eight weeks unless I come up with something very creative! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. If you were a 3-year-old, what would you want to learn or play in a tumbling class?

No comments:

Post a Comment