My boss's son Carter is three and on Wednesdays, the minute he gets "home" (aka his dad's office), he looks for me and says "I don't know where the paper airplanes went." I tell him, "I think you have them saved upstairs. Maybe we can play later?" and proceed to set a paper airplane date with him.

Today we had a war with about 20 different sized paper airplanes, some labeled "Carter" or "Daddy" or "Katie." And some definitely flew better than others. Carter's way of playing is to pick up all the airplanes he can and throw them at Reenie or Nancy and then laugh really loudly, yell "I GOT YOU!" and then run away and hide, begging me to hide with him.
Before the airplane war today, I had to take some pictures at the elementary school. While I was gone, Carter came looking for me because he wanted to play. The ladies told him I was gone and in a typical three-year-old fashion, he continually asked "Where? Why? Where'd she go? When will she be back? Why? Why?" until they told him they'd come get him when I got back.
While I'm not too much of a paper airplane expert, I do look forward to the hour I waste (what?) on Wednesdays playing paper airplanes with Carter, Reenie and Nancy.
So cute! I am literally so excited for when you have kids. You'll be the best mom!
ReplyDeleteOn a side note, they have a paper airplane contest every hour at the Air & Space Museum. Maybe you should compete when you come out?
You get paid for this?
ReplyDeleteActually the 1 hour you spend with Carter is very well invested. Too often we are all too busy for the little ones. They need people who will spend time with them and you can tell by how he responded when you were not there that he looks forward to his 'airplane' time with you. Can you imagine what pleasure goes through that little mind? Good for you Katie....for taking time out of the day for Carter.
KC